We make this dish all the time for parties and friends, and always get requests for this recipe. Enjoy!
Cowboy beans are cooked in the crockpot with ground beef, various beans, and seasonings.
- 1/2 pound lean bacon 1 can butter beans, 16 oz
- 1 pound ground chuck, lean 1 can baby lima beans, 16 oz
- 1 large onion 1 can great northern beans, 16 oz
- 2 or 3 green Chile Peppers, diced ½ teaspoon Colmans dry mustard powder
- 1 can pork 'n beans, 16 oz ½ jar El Pinto Mild Salsa
- 1 can red kidney beans, 16 oz 1 packet of Mc Cormick Chile seasoning
Frozen Chile Peppers from the New Mexican Connection, we use Big Jim's mild / medium type. Remove the blisteded skin and top, remove the seeds. To start, cut up 2 or 3 chiles and add to crockpot mix.You can order Chile's on line at www.newmexicanconnection.com or call 1-800-933-2736
El Pinto Mild Salsa is the best we've ever tasted. The salsa and green chiles are what gives this recipe all the flavor and heat that keeps bringing you back for another taste. Serve the salsa with chips or have with eggs at breakfast time. Order salsa on line at www.elpinto.com or call 1-505-898-1771
Brown bacon in a large skillet or microwave and cut into ½" bits. Remove bacon from rendered fat and set aside. In the bacon drippings, saute the onions until tender. Add the ground meat and brown lightly. Put the meats into the bottom of a crockpot.
Add the Pork 'n Beans with the liquid on them. Drain most of the juice off of the remaining cans of beans and add them with the remaining ingredients to the crockpot. Mix all well.
Cook on HIGH setting for 1 hour to get well heated through, then lower heat setting to LOW and allow to cook for 3 - 4 hours. Stir from time to time.